Saturday, March 1, 2008

Day Three ~ A Common Thread

"I promise you that if you keep your journals and records
they will indeed be a source of great inspiration to you,
each other, your children, your grandchildren, and
others throughout the generations."
-Spencer W. Kimball
Read Nephi 25:21-26
~Do you have a written copy of your testimony of Christ? Take time to write one today. You might want to include your belief in Him, your gratutude for Him, or an experience that has strengthened your testimony of Him.
~Obtain and keep a journal of your twenty-one day journey, recording the treasures and discoveries that come to you as you follow this path.
As always, don't forget to include personal prayer in your daily study.

2 comments:

Austin said...

When I read this chapter this morning the first thing I did was get out my grandpa’s journal and started reading some of his entries. He was a great man and you could tell in every action that he did, that he had a great love for his Savior.
One entry that I read keeps popping into my head is a letter that he wrote to my Aunt in 1975. He says “Every time I look around and see people living like they do, I wonder what this world is coming to.” It’s funny to me that he was so worried about the world back in 1975. Things have gotten so much worse since then and it makes me scared to think what my children will see and what my grandchildren will see happen in the future.
The common thread I see now with my Grandpa and I is the Gospel and how much faith he had. No matter what he went through he stayed true to his Savior. I still have a lot to learn from my grandpa even though he is no longer with us. I hope to find more common threads as I read through his journal again.
He had a lot of great qualities that I would love to have and pass along to my children. I would love it if someday I sat down with my children and we read my grandpa’s journal together and they said, “Mom you are just like your grandpa, is that where you get that from”. I need to leave my legacy behind too. I may not be around to see my grandchildren or great grandchildren how will they know me and my feelings for my Savior if I never write them down.
The author, Emily Freeman, writes “Maybe someday, generations from now, someone in your posterity will read through the stories you have recorded and find a common thread, one that will lead them closer to Christ. –Emily Freeman

Janette Magley said...

Writing in a journal is something that I feel passionate about. I've written at least 4 full journals and continue to do so. I love telling my children how I feel about them when they are small and now as they are getting older. I even gave one of my journals to my 13 year old to read -- it one that I wrote when I was her age. She laughs and can relate to me and brings us closer together.

When my mother passed away she had written only a few pages in her journal and I can tell you that those few pages are a prized possession in our family. I love to look at her handwriting and touch the words. This is HER...

Janette