Thursday, February 28, 2008

Day One ~ Come and See

"My desire is for all of us
...to have a more straightforward
personal experience with
the Savior's example."
-Jeffrey R. Holland
If you want to know who Christ is, come and see. If you need to find answers to deep longings within your soul, come and see. If you are desperate to know of the healing power Christ can and will bring, come and see. If you want to become a true follower of Christ, come and see.
-Emily Freeman
Read the account of the fishermen in Mark 1:16-18 and John 1:38-39
~Determine what fills your nets. Are everyday challenges such as time constraints, demands from work or home, or feelings of inadequacy or fear holding you back from developing a relationship with Christ?
~Try today to listen for the quiet invitations from the Lord to come and see.
Don't forget to include personal prayer on your daily journey closer to Christ.

4 comments:

Austin said...

I good friend of mine talks about her top 5 list of priorities. If it's not in your top 5 it doesn't get done. My problem has been that I have been trying to make a top 7 or top 8 list and things aren't getting done and God is getting farther down on my list. My goal has been to eliminate some things (or stresses)in my life and really focus on my relationship with my Heavenly Father and Christ and my with my family.
I had all these things filling my net, but could I whole heartedly follow Christ and his example with him not in my Number One Spot. So here is my revised top 5 1)God 2)Family 3)Church Calling 4)Home(includes gardening & home responsiblities) 5)hobbies (includes card making & blogging)
What's in your top 5?

Just the 7 of us said...

My top 5 are the same as yours Austin wow great minds think alike :)

Austin said...

Mark 1:18 Reads "And straightway they forsook their nets and followed him" I know if I was given 2 paths I would obviously choose the path towards Christ.
Simon and Andrew, with no questions and no hesitations, dropped what they were doing to folow Christ.
But answer this to yourself, would you give up your Book Club Night or your Scrapbooking Night to go to a church meeting or fireside.
If we truly have Christ in our number one spot should we be at our meeting and absorbing every word our church leaders have to tell us.
Just a thought.

Janette Magley said...

When I read the scripture verses... I was impressed that when the soon to be apostles were approached by Jesus... they were obedient and left their families and their occupations and followed... they didn't think Jesus was some weirdo that was some religious activist trying to con them into following. They were obedient, I believe, because they were living their lives in a manner that they were impressed to know what to do... I wonder If I always know the right things to do in my life.

I think my nets get full of distracting thoughts that keep me from reaching my full potential relationship with our Savior. Thoughts like... my children are distrupting me during sacrament... oh know... who's looking at my children fighting to sit by me or who thinks my baby is annoying because she is crying. I'll even leave the room so that I'm not a bother to everyone else.

Or I get down on myself... I'm not good enough or I'll never be that latter saint woman our Father in Heaven wants me to be. I like to think that our Savior and Heavenly Father have a different outlook on who I am... they know my worth even more than I do... I think this one little truth is why Satan works so hard to distract so that we'll never truly know. I think it is time to stop listening to lies and start stepping up to who we really are.

I also think it's easy to put God first on our list if it means just attending church or holding a church calling... I don't think our Heavenly Father wants us to believe this. I hope I'll see the man starving on the side of the road and help or put 100% forward even if it means serving someone I don't particularly like or teaching the gospel to someone who has different standards than myself. I hope I'm not someone who will point out other people's faults just to make myself feel better about putting God lower on my list. I hope I'm not to busy to be obedient. I hope I'll hold my child when he/she needs me and take the time to talk to God and thank him for the world I live in.

So here's my top 5 list:
1) GOD 2) Larry (my husband) 3)my children 4)home -- cleaning/ cooking/ organizing...etc. 5) personal time... learning/ bubble baths/ exercise... enjoying life.

I don't want to settle for just existing... I'm hoping someday to make a difference in the world.